My husband and I decided to budget $10-$20 per week on prepping activities for the month of December. We will most likely increase this amount after Christmas, but you sure can get a lot done with $10 per week! Here’s a rundown of what I’ve “prepped”this week:
- Bought 6 lbs of salt = $0.89/ea at Aldi. I love Aldi, if you have one nearby and aren’t shopping there, please do yourself a favor and check it out! It is a frugal person’s dream 🙂
- Bought 5 cans of tuna = $1.00/ea at Wal-Mart. Every person in my family really, really loves tuna sandwiches so it is a no-brainer storage food for us. I think it’s really important to store food that your family will actually eat. It would be bad enough to be stuck in a disaster situation, but to add having to eat food you dislike on top of it would be miserable!
- My husband built wooden shelves in the basement last weekend using lumber we had lying around to store our current “crap” as he calls it (totes of baby items, childhood memories, etc.) and to start storing our stockpile. We are currently renting my in-laws house so we are lucky that we can build and tear down as we please. Our 3 year plan includes purchasing land this Spring, paying it off, and starting to build in the Spring of 2017.
- Read the first 10 chapters of The Provident Prepper by Kylene and Jonathan Jones. I’ve been working on this book for about 3 weeks and am really enjoying it. Each chapter is insightful and provides a ton of real world advice. I plan to finish reading the book next week and then go back chapter by chapter to adjust our prepping strategies and implement their recommendations.
- I went over budget and bought a Reliance 7 gallon Aqua Tainer for $17.95. I purchased it through Amazon Prime = no shipping costs and 2 day delivery! It’s scheduled to arrive today and I’m super, super excited. It’s the little things 🙂
I plan to make this a weekly installment on the blog each Friday to outline what we’ve done this week to disaster prep. I would love to see what everyone else is doing – leave a comment or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enjoy your weekend!